Education Visa (ED)

Want to learn the Thai Language, attend University in Thailand? Practice Muay Thai, become a Massage Teacher or learn Self Defence? Baan Smile will locate the perfect school for you, get your education visa package and prepare a winning application so you can stay in Thailand for up to a year at a time.

"I contacted them when I realized I needed to get a 60 day visa in my own country, USA, before arriving in Thailand. They quickly responded to every email... I was very pleased with their service"
~ Brian Homer

Who is this visa for?

The Thai Non-Immigrant Visa ED or “Education Visa” is for any foreign national over the age of 12 who wishes to stay in Thailand for the purpose of studying in Thailand at a recognized educational institution. You have to get a visa before you are allowed to begin your studies.

In order to qualify for a Thai Student Visa, you have to:

  • Be enrolled in a Thai educational institution
  • Have at least 15 hours of classes per week

How long does it last?

Initially, the Education Visa will only be valid for 90 days when you enter Thailand.

Is it renewable or extendable?

After initially entering Thailand with the 90-day Education Visa, it will be extended to 1 year once you have registered for your courses, paid your tuition fees in full, and presented the immigration officer with a letter from the educational institution. After that, you will have to renew your visa on a yearly basis.

Which countries qualify?

Nationals of all countries are qualified to apply for this visa.

Where to apply?

Contact Baan Smile to help locate the right school for you and put together your education visa documents.

Application Requirements

  • Passport with at least 6 months of validity.
  • Round-trip flight reservation.
  • A Recent Bank Statement showing $700 per person or $1,500 per family clearly indicates the applicant’s name.
  • Original Letter of admission- A letter of admission with the official letterhead from the educational institution to which you have applied and got accepted. Make sure there are definitive dates for the start of the semester started on the letter as well otherwise there might be a problem when you apply for or to change to a student visa as the visa date will be in reference to that date.
  • Proof of acceptance, enrolment and payment in the school

In order to apply for the Education Visa, you will need to show proof of funds of $700 per person or $1,500 per family.

Frequently Asked Questions

How much does the Education Visa cost?

The visa application fee is around $80 per applicant.

Can I convert the Education Visa into other types of visa?

No, you may not convert the Education Visa into other types of visa for the entire duration of your trip.

Do I need the re-entry permit when leaving Thailand?

Yes, the Education Visa is a single-entry visa, and in case you leave the country you will have to apply for the re-entry permit to keep your visa valid.

Can I work in Thailand with an Education Visa?


Can I renew my Education Visa when it expires?

Yes, but you may have to leave Thailand to do so.

Frequently Asked Questions

do I need proof on income as a student on ED Visa?

Can I change from tourist visa to education visa Thailand?

What is education visa in Thailand?

How long is Thai education visa?

How can I extend my education visa in Thailand?

© Smile House International Co.,Ltd. & Baan Smile 2023 · Privacy · Terms